The only thing you can control is how you react to things out of your control’. This is a famous quote from Bassam Tarazi. We all perceive stress differently and it’s important to point out straight away that some stress is good for us, but prolonged and ongoing daily stresses play havoc with our physical, mental, emotional health and wellbeing.
This pandemic has taught us all the importance for checking in with ourselves and the importance of self- care. Here are my self-care tips to help reduce stress.
1. Plan and Prepare, this applies to meals and daily chores. Even if it is getting your clothes ready the night before, keeping back some leftovers from dinner for lunch the next day. These tasks if not prepared can waste valuable time in the morning and cause unnecessary stress.
2. Accept help when it comes to daily house chores. Children can help with chores. I often hear from people, “but it would be quicker if I do it myself”. We need to accept if these jobs are not completed with perfection!
3. Take time out for yourself without feeling guilty. I must admit I struggle myself keeping to this. As parents we are always putting others before ourselves, but if we don’t look after ourselves, we cannot look after others. Remember we are responsible for teaching self- care to our children.
4. Deep breathing. Slowing the breath down is an excellent way to make you feel calmer and more present in the moment.
5. Talk about it, as the saying goes a problem shared is a problem halved, very simple but true. We can feel our problem is overwhelming but feel instantly better when we talk about it and put it into prospective with loved ones.
My two favourite supplements to help manage stress
Stressveda is an excellent one-a-day food supplement to help balance cortisol, the main driver of stress in the body. It contains Ashwagandha, which is an adaptogenic herb from India with combined food state B vitamins to help manage physical, mental and emotional stress. An excellent choice for students and busy adults. Natural Atlantic sea sourced magnesium helps support normal muscle function, energy, and helps replace magnesium depleted by drinking caffeine or dealing with stress.
One Nutrition Ocean Mag is a highly bioavailable seawater magnesium. This is an excellent highly alkaline powder that contains 72 other nutrients and trace minerals with no bitter taste. It is tested sports safe to WADA Standard for added assurance for all athletes too.
By Nutritionist Sarah Brereton